Monday, March 7, 2011

Speaking more than 2 languages protects brain

Hi there. I used to complain that I don't have a primary language stored in my brain. I mean I write efficiently in English and not in any other language but I speak fluently in Tagalog more than any other language. When I get really mad I speak Tausug. I speak Arabic when I pray. I do smutter Hindi/Urdu (depends on whom you are talking to) to most of my patients. Alhamdulillah I can say the equivalent of 'how are you - I'm fine' in other languages as well like Croatias, Thailand, Mandarin, Romania, Korean, Tamil, Malayalam, Nepalese, Swede, Japanese, Nigerian, Bangali and Vietnamese and others I forgot now. I guess I shouldn't complain now.

Care to read about the story?

March 7, 2011 — Compared with bilingual seniors, those who speak more than 2 languages appear to be protected from cognitive impairment according to a longitudinal study.

Other Links:

Do you have fatty Liver like me? Asians with lower BMI 23 kg/M2 have the same amount of VISCERAL fat with whites at 27 kg/M2. This means that even though I have a normal BMI and yet having a fatty liver, I'm still considered having excess fats and hence more susceptible to Diabetes Type II and other metabolic abnormalities.

Read on...

"It's clear that Asians cannot afford to gain weight because they will put on more visceral fat, more liver fat, and, as a consequence, they will be at greater risk of developing type 2 diabetes than whites with the same BMI."

More Links:

Kid's Asthma control

No comments:

Post a Comment